September 25, 2015

Kindred School Bus Crash


Photo taken by WDAY News
Two of our busses were driving an activity run this morning..... in the fog. They were headed to Bagg Farm. Cathy crashed into a semi that pulled out in front of her. Then two other semi's crashed into them.
Cathy was pinned behind the steering wheel for way too long. Life Flight (helicopter) refused to fly in the fog. When I left the scene she was still stuck behind the wheel.) She has lost a lot of blood.


I was heading down hwy 46 @ about 9:00 when someone from the school called and told me about the crash. I said OMG! It's right in front of me. I pulled off to the side of the road. A min later the first cop car shot past. me.
Cathy was driving the first bus carrying 4th graders.Craig was following behind Cathy in a second bus, also carrying 4th graders. After getting out of the car, I checked out Craig's bus first. Those kids were fine...but excited. Craig, had taken off to reach Cathy. One of the teachers on the bus was trying to calm the kids, the other on her phone while pacing in front of the bus. They wouldn't let me get any closer to Cathy's bus. I told them that I was a fellow bus driver....but they nicely said that I would be in the way. I understood.
The teachers on the crashed bus safely got the hysterical kids off that bus and had them stand in the field while rescue people worked on Cathy.
For some reason, I feel like taking pictures during a crisis is wrong. but you know me, I have to document everything with a picture. So I stayed at a distance and snapped a few shots in the fog. You really can't see much in my pictures.
For a long time none of the TV stations could get to the crash because hwy 46 was closed off not allowing anyone to pass. Once they got there, they were able to take some really clear pictures including the picture at the top of this message.

Here is a link to KYLY's report:
http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Injuries-Reported-in-School-Bus-Semi-Crash-in-Richland-County-329520631.html

Here's another link to a inForum report:
http://www.inforum.com/news/3848475-mom-child-wrecked-kindred-school-bus-says-seriously-injured-driver-saved-our-children
I forgot to mention, Cathy's husband Bob was on call at the ambulance building when the call came through! Can you imagine how he felt to get the call and yet how wonderful that he could be at his wife's side?!

Even though this happened a few hours ago, many of us are still shaking. I asked our superintendent how he was doing. (He was visibly shaken also.) His answer warmed my heart: "You know that we're all family."