April 23, 2009

Davenport Update

Here I am with another "Update". Surprised?

The drain on the east side of Davenport is full and the water is moving fast. I drive over it everyday on my way to Davenport School. If the flood over takes this drain, the town of Davenport would be in trouble, and many farms in the area.

The east side of Davenport has a small sandbag dike unlike the 5 foot clay dike on the south side. This east entrance to town may soon be the only entrance and if that gets washed out....... Unfortunately the culvert controlling the drain water is old and made out of cement. The fear is that with all this new pressure, the culvert will crumble and then watch the water gush!!

Officials had planned to take some precautionary measures today...but decided that they couldn't wait. Last night, with bright lights, they hauled in heavy machinery and a big crane. They are putting in large pilings in which they are adding large plates. I've been told that this will slow down the water and maybe divert some of it around to the south side of town where there is more protection.

Davenport residents received evacuation papers which told them what to do if they hear the fire alarm. I am sure it said to be ready with a bag of essentials and mark an X on your door when you leave. The X is a symbol to show that no one is in the house.

As I was traveling east on hwy 46 today. I was amazed that the water to the SE goes for as far as my eyes can see.... miles and miles. I really hope to see an aerial picture of this new lake we have. If I get a hold of one (and I've put a few hints out there) I'll post it so that you can see too.